Tuesday, October 18, 2005

No doubt about 'em

For all of the bloviating about collecting in-person autographs I’ve done so far, as well as the hot air hovering overhead, I still get quite a kick from pulling a definite keeper John Hancock from a so-called wax pack.

There’s something about gently opening a wrapper, sliding out the cards and, as you’re shuffling through them, spying that extra-special card nestled among the commons, inserts and rookies. Not only does it justify the cash you’ve just dropped on a box or pack, but it also provides the motivation to stay in the hobby.

Sure, not every inked card will send you running for a screwdown and a Phillips screwdriver. Lord knows, I’ve pulled my share of dogs (Reto von Arx), cats (Mika Alatalo) and half-eaten rodents (Maxim Sushinsky). But every once in a while, though sometimes they come in bunches, I snag a true gem.

My eyes light up. A smile grows across by razor-challenged mug. And, even if it is a redemption, I get the feeling that I've just won the lottery. Maybe not a megamillion Powerball jackpot, but you know what I mean.

So now, here’s a look at my Top 10 favorite autograph pulls:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home